Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Final Fantasy 13-2 Fragments After Translation Project - It Begins!

Today I bring news! Good news!

As the title suggests, I have officially started translating the remainder of Final Fantasy 13-2 Fragments After. Currently, I only have pages 4-71, 126-131, and 180-239 (provided by roxas9001 of Gamefaqs), but nevertheless, I think that's enough to start with! Plus, a certain someone has graciously agreed to scan the remaining pages for me in about a week's time, so I've got to catch up!

Now, I will elaborate on a few issues regarding this project.

Where do I put it?

I was debating on posting the translations here directly, but then I thought of how annoying it would be to post an unfinished product. Posting a few pages at a time is a recipe for disaster. Linking them later on would be an absolute nightmare. Editing the same post repeatedly would also, put posts out of order, or leave readers wondering if I've updated or not. Of course, I could upload them AFTER I've finished translating everything, but who wants to wait for that? 

Of course, you want to see what I'm working on and make sure I'm still working on it! So this time around, I'm going also going to stick with Google Documents for the rough draft and then post the "finished" product here, just as I've done with Fragments Before.

Personally, I think Google Docs is awesome because it is a platform for collaboration. Any user may highlight sections of the document and insert comments anonymously on the go. There is also a non-anonymous live chat function built into the site which can be accessed, provided you have a Google Account and are willing to reveal your identity to me!

tl:dr: Translations live in Google Docs. Come watch, comment and chat. Finished piece posted here later.

The translation is weird!

Oh, I'm not the only one who thinks that? Good! Well, for Fragments Before I initially tried to stick as closely to the original language as possible, but gradually, I attempted to make things sound a little more natural in English. This time around I will continue striving to preserve the flow of the translation while maintaining the nuances of the original.

Help wanted!

Once again, your help in sorting out any mistakes or oddities in the translation is very much appreciated. I saw lots of you lurking and watching me translate Fragments Before, but most of you were all so quiet! I know my English isn't perfect so please do use the Google Docs comment system or chat to contact me if you have any suggestions!

When is it updated?

Well, there's really no definitive answer to that. However, since I am on summer vacation, you can expect to see me a lot. I typically translate any time between mid-afternoon to the wee hours of morning (GMT-8). 

I don't think it's really necessary to spam the blog with posts saying 'this is what I did today.' However, I will post project updates on my Final Fantasy Wikia userpage, daily. If you have an account there, you can "follow" the page and be notified by email of any changes I've made to the page.

8 comments:

  1. What's your fav chapter so far?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I don't have a favorite yet, but I love the fal'Cie Cactuar so I'm looking forward to doing that chapter!

      Delete
    2. So who's your fav character in XIII/XIII-2?

      Delete
  2. Do you still translate? It's been a long time ;_;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually just started translating again. I just haven't gotten around to updating my Wikia userpage.

      Delete
  3. Please don't give up on this project. I'm sure there are many people who want to get it done. Good Luck with your translation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both Novels were recently released here in Germany. I really don't know Square Enix won't find an english Publisher for such important Novels.

    ReplyDelete